Wow, it’s been a big month! It’s not like there have been HUGE developments (she started walking ‘ages’ ago, and she still hasn’t begun to talk), but it just feels like M has grown up a lot.
– She’s got another big batch of teeth coming in. The left lower lateral incisor poked through first, and then the top two first molars, followed more recently by a lower molar on the left. The think the right one will be next, but I can’t see any sign of the other lower incisor yet. As usual, M hasn’t complained at all about teething. I don’t really understand how she’s such a good kid.
– M shakes her head ‘no’ all the time now. Not talking isn’t going to steal that toddlerhood hallmark from her. I’ve realized I shouldn’t take her head-shaking too seriously — she hasn’t figured out how to nod yet, so sometimes ‘no’ really does mean ‘yes’ for her. She also claps now and wags her finger for ‘no, no’ and covers her eyes to play peek-a-boo. Learning lots of gestures. I started getting more serious about signing with her, so I’m hoping she’ll start to pick some of that up soon.
– She is sooo affectionate. She’s always been cuddly, but she’s become even more demonstrative lately. She likes to walk up to me and hug my legs when I’m working in the kitchen. And she loves ‘wrestling’ games that keep us close. I’ve discovered one of the perks of her sleeping in a big bed: when she wakes up and I go to get her, I can lie in bed with her for a few minutes. She snuggles really close, and after her nap today, she rolled on her side and hugged me tightly around my neck. It’s the best part about co-sleeping, without the waking-each-other-up-all-night stuff.
– It feels like she’s suddenly gotten… more mature? I think part of it is just the switch to the big bed and is all in my head. But she watches me so closely when I say things, and it’s almost like I can see her learning. She really likes to play WITH me, and we come up with little baby games and discover new activities together. Ha, I just checked The Wonder Weeks, and sure enough ~15mos IS when toddlers make a big leap (understanding principles). It’s hard to pinpoint exactly how M seems different, but she just seems to ‘get’ everything a little better than before.
– M is in love with cats and dogs and babies/kids. Even more than she always has been. I really wish there were more toddler activities around here, so she could play with little kids more often. (Once she’s 18mos, she can join a tots class at the gymnastic studio!) She adores all animals and always wants to know what sound they make, although she won’t repeat the sounds herself.
– She had her fifteen-month check-up yesterday, and she’s dropped percentiles a bit for weight (from 50-60th percentile to 33rd). The doctor wasn’t surprised or concerned, given how active she is now, and she doesn’t look skinny or unhealthy. She’s shot up in height, though! She was 32″ tall, which puts her in the 90th percentile. She’s usually been 60-70th percentile for height, so that’s quite a difference! She definitely looks long-limbed these days. I wonder if she’ll be tall when she’s all grown up!