Here it is! This is the hoodie I made yesterday -- there's a full version of the photo above here, and a shot of it from the front here (although I look a bit dumb in that one, sorry). Like I said before, I used a 1974 Simplicity pattern that I had picked up at the Hinckley thrift store a while back; that place has the best selection of vintage patterns! I was a little bit worried about how the sweatshirt would fit, as my copy of the pattern was for a 34" bust, but it's actually very roomy. Before I cut anything, I compared the pattern measurements against one of my favorite hoodies, and everything was spot on -- I just had to add 3" to the length (it would have been ridiculously short if I hadn't!).
The sweatshirt fleece came from SR Harris, a fabric warehouse that's not too far from me. It's kind of an overwhelming place, actually -- the bolts are all crammed together, which makes it difficult to find and heave out what you want. But I saw this, and I really liked the floral pattern on the dark grey. Feminine, but not girly. They didn't have any ribbing that matched, but I actually prefer the contrast of the light grey, and I was able to find a zipper that's nearly the same color as the fleece.
The original pattern is for A) a shirt made with a stretch knit and a zipper in the back or B) an unlined jacket with the front zipper and hood. It's assumed that you'll be making the jacket with a woven (non-stretchy) material, so it doesn't use ribbing for the cuffs and bottom band. I had to make that up as I went, but they turned out really well, especially the extra-long cuffs. I like the hand-coverage, and I think they give the sweatshirt a more interesting look. The raglan sleeves (love!) are fuller at the wrist (they don't taper, like most sweatshirts), which adds a bit of flounce where they meet the narrower ribbing. Overall, I love the shape of this hoodie -- not too narrow, and not too baggy.
The pockets are pretty shallow, which is okay, since I usually just put my hands in sweatshirt pockets, not actual stuff -- but I'd probably modify them if I used the pattern again, all the same. The hood is huge and billowy; the pattern picture does a fairly good job portraying it. Think monks. Even though it's unlined, this is almost like a sweatshirt-jacket, because the facing under the zipper and collar give it a bit more heft. The pattern went together like a dream, and it really feels like a quality piece of clothing. If I tried it on at REI, I'd fall in love with it and then be shocked by the (inevitably high) price. But I think I spent about $12 on materials.
But wait, that's not all!
At the fabric warehouse, I also spotted a great thermal knit, which has a print of little Dutch people working in the fields. I wasn't really keen on making a thermal shirt for myself, but I couldn't pass it up, so I got a half yard and decided I'd make something for Henny. I bought a PDF pattern from minou pitou -- it's actually one that's not currently listed (the Captain Kirk shirt in petite), but I imagine she'll relist soon.
This was another case of an excellent pattern; everything went together just as it was supposed to. These two projects were my first attempts to sew properly with knit fabrics (instead of just messing around without a pattern, which has never yielded good results), and I think I'm hooked now. I had always thought of knits as being super fussy, but they're actually pretty forgiving. Onwards and upwards!
p.s. -- Because Marjan brought it up it in the comments, I thought I'd mention that I used a regular straight stitch on the hoodie (exactly what I'd use on woven fabrics) and a slight zigzag on Henny's shirt, because that's what was recommended in the pattern. Both seemed to work fine. I used a medium-weight ball-point needle on my (non-serger) machine.