Blueberry Pie

I made a blueberry pie yesterday! Nothing fancy — I just used canned pie filling, but I did make an all-butter crust from scratch. (I used the crust recipe from the rhubarb pie, but I doubled it so I could make the top crust.) I took more pictures of the process than strictly necessary because I was impressed with the crust. Last time I made it, it was a little too crumbly, so I added more water this time, and it was PERFECT. I don’t know that I’ve ever been able to roll the crust over the pin and then drape it into the pie pan just so — until now. This was also my first lattice top. Not too shabby, eh? I know it looks like that last slice has forgotten how to pie, but now that the filling has thoroughly chilled, it’s not quite so slumpy. The crust is light and tender without being greasy-buttery.

And, of course, there’s a little M interlude while we waited for the pie to bake. Pretending to drink from a sippy cup (there was nothing in it). Her tummy kills me!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Blueberry Pie

1. Kris Torborg says:

Mmmm, yum, pretty. I love blueberry pie for breakfast with ice-cream!

2. Jess says:

Beautiful! That looks amazing. I tried to make a strawberry rhubarb pie last weekend and the result was hilarious. I’ll post a picture. Granted, I had never made a pie before. I didn’t realize the filling would bubble out all over the inside of the oven. Silly me!

• Anna says:

Heh, that’s why I always put the pie dish on a cookie sheet in the oven! I was just telling Rob recently that most of my favorite ‘Is that really true?’ anecdotes come from you. Sheet music in the microwave, fried rice, Altoid poultice, etc. I think it’s charming, and it must mean that you’re open to experimenting (although a little internet research never hurt anybody).

• Jess says:

It didn’t even occur to me that it would “boil over,” so I didn’t think to look it up! :) I’ll definitely remember for next time, once I clean out the mess in the oven. John’s mom said after I told her about my problem that she puts the pie pan on a cookie sheet AND lines the bottom of the oven with aluminum foil whenever she makes a pie. Now I know (about all those things)!

3. laurie says:

thats a lovely looking pie, vey professional looking, I was thinking how cute her belly was too, her belly button looks like its winking at us,

4. Asmita says:

Yum. wouldn’t mind some with ice cream right now. That photo of M IS cute!