After seeing the wonderful clothes that Asmita makes for her beautiful daughter, I was reminded that I had a dress pattern I’d been meaning to try. A few years ago, I found this Oliver + S pattern for seventy-five cents at the Hinckley thrift store (they used to have an amazing sewing/crafts section, which has gone downhill over the past couple of years). I hadn’t even looked at the instructions until yesterday, which is when I discovered that the pieces I needed had already been cut out in the size I needed — and fused to interfacing for durability. Wow! That’s hitting the pattern jackpot.
The pattern is nice and goes together really easily/quickly, but I don’t actually like the finished dress. It looks cute on the hanger and when M is sitting down, but you can sort of see here that it’s narrow through the torso and then flares out. Or if you go to the Oliver + S pattern page I linked to, the sample on the dress form shows it really well. The bodice would be so cute with a more A-line skirt. There’s also the issue that it’s a 6-12mos size but is huge on very-average-sized, eight-month-old M. Maybe when she’s a year old and taller, it’ll look better.
Another option would be to take about 4-5″ off the bottom of the skirt, which would get rid of most of the flare and make it a better length (it’s very long!), although it would still be loose up top. We’ll see. I like the fabrics I used — a white linen on top and a Cath Kidston print I’ve had since my London days. It would be a shame to waste those. It was fun to sew, anyway, and the pattern also has a playsuit that uses the same bodice — that might be cuter!