After thinking I like cats and dogs equally for most of my life, I decided a while back that I was definitely a ‘cat person’. Dogs are loud and in the way and surprisingly damp. But then I fostered and adopted Henny, so I softened a little bit. I love both her and Nova, but I still struggle to see the appeal of dogs (apart from the various duties certain dogs can perform). A pros list for dogs and cats (or at least my dogs and cats), as I see it:
– can go places with you, whether it’s for a ride in the car to the store or for a walk outside.
– are happy to see you when you come home.
– are really soft. They don’t have as many elbows and jabby feet as some animals.
– keep their mouths to themselves, for the most part.
– are happy-ish to see you when you come home, but they certainly won’t jump up on your legs when you’re wearing tights.
– are sooooo fluffy!
– do their potty business in a specified indoor location, on their own schedule, independently.
– smell nice, usually.
– don’t feel the need to alert you to the presence of every deer or passing vehicle (so don’t need to be taught not to).
– will let you trim their claws with minimal fuss (that might apply only to my cats, versus my dogs).