I’ve been really good about not buying new clothes for M for a while now. I got a few things (a dress and two cardigans) at the thrift store, so I could cut the sleeves off when she had her cast, but that hardly counts. Clothes had such a rapid turn-over when M was young, but she doesn’t outgrow things quite as quickly anymore. Actually, there are some shirts and pants that she’s been wearing for over a year now! They were big when she started wearing them, and now they fit perfectly. There’s one yellow sweatshirt that I really like, and she wore it to her 4mos check-up — and she also wore it a few days ago (at 17mos). I can’t believe her head still fits through it! She definitely doesn’t need the sleeves rolled up anymore.
Anyway, I haven’t started buying warm-weather clothes, as Minnesota isn’t quite there, and I’m also not sure yet if I should buy 18mos or 24mos sizes. But I thought it would be fun to sew something this morning, and I came up with this little shirt. I used a raglan tee pattern I have, and the 18mos size has seemed a little big on M, so I was hoping I could use a woven cotton instead of a knit. I made a slit a few inches long at the back of the neck, so it would fit over M’s head, since the material isn’t stretchy.
After getting the seams sewn up, I tried it on M, and it went on just fine — but would NOT come off again. Whoops. I’ve had that happen even with store-bought clothes made from woven materials. I don’t understand how things go on without a struggle and then become almost impossible to remove. At any rate, I had to cut this shirt off M. I went right down the center of the back, as I figured that was the only way to salvage it. Some bias binding and a couple of snaps later, it actually turned out cute! I like how the open back lets the shirt flare out at the bottom instead of being so straight through the body.
This was one of my first ‘real’ projects that I made with my serger (I got this one for my birthday). I comes threaded with different color threads, and I’d had to re-thread a couple of them while working on test projects, but this was the first time I replaced all of them (with all white) from scratch. I couldn’t believe that it worked on the first try! I still have a LOT to learn about using a serger, but I already really like it for sewing clothes. It’s so nice to have finished edges inside. I used my regular machine for the binding and the hem at the bottom, but all the seams (including sewing the sleeve cuffs on) were done with the serger. It definitely makes homemade clothes feel a little less ‘homemade’!